Issues for Surgery
Potential increased absorption of dietary cholesterol if omitted.
Combination product containing simvastatin – increased risk of myocardial infarction if omitted (see Statins monograph).
Combination product containing simvastatin – risk of myopathy and rhabdomyolysis if continued (see Statins monograph).
Advice in the Perioperative period
Elective and Emergency Surgery
Continue – including the following combination product: -
- Inegy® (ezetimibe + simvastatin) – see also Statins monograph
Restart post-operatively as soon as next dose is due.
Interaction(s) with Common Anaesthetic Agents
None1, 2, 3, 4.
Interaction(s) with other Common Medicines used in the Perioperative Period
None1, 2, 3, 4.
- Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary (online) London: BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press. http://www.medicinescomplete.com [Accessed on 18th July 2019]
- Summary of Product Characteristics – Ezetrol® (ezetimibe) 10mg Tablets. Merck Sharp and Dohme Limited. Accessed via www.medicines.org.uk 18/07/2019 [date of revision of the text February 2018]
- Baxter K, Preston CL (eds), Stockley’s Drug Interactions (online) London: Pharmaceutical Press. http://www.medicinescomplete.com [Accessed on 18th July 2019]
- Ezetimibe. In: Brayfield A (Ed), Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. London: The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. Electronic version. Truven Health Analytics, Greenwood Village, Colorado, USA. Available at: http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. [Accessed 18th July 2019]